#2 Emory Defeats CMS in Team Indoors Semis
SAINT PETER, Minn. – The third seeded CMS Men’s
Tennis team lost a 6-3 semifinal decision to second seeded Emory in
the ITA National Team Indoors on Saturday. Freshman Robbie
Erani (New York, NY [pictured right]) accounted for
two of the Stags three points, winning at #3 doubles and #3
The Stags won at #2 and #3 doubles and lost a tough 8-6 match at #1, where sophomore Russell Brockett (Austin, TX) was substituting for the injured Guillaume Schils (Sr. – Shaker Heights, OH). With a 2-1 advantage heading into the singles, CMS was paced by Erani, who won at #3 despite cramping at 4-3 in the second set. The Stags were unable to win a set at any of the other five singles positions, and dropped their first dual match of the season.
CMS is now 7-1 on the season and plays fifth seeded Kenyon in the third place playoff on Sunday. The Stags will play both Emory and Kenyon at home over the next few weeks, facing Kenyon on March 7th, and Emory on March 13th.
#2 Emory University 6, #3 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps 3
Feb 21, 2009 at St. Peter, Minn. (Swanson Tennis Center)
1. Chris Goodwin /Michael Goodwin (EU) def. Russell Brockett/Lawrence Wang (CMS) 8-6
2. Michael Starr/Ronald Wu (CMS) def. Mark Boren/David Caplan (EU) 8-6
3. Robbie Erani/Eric MacColl (CMS) def. Oliver Lopp/Phillip Overdiek (EU) 8-6
1. Michael Goodwin (EU) def. Lawrence Wang (CMS) 6-3, 6-4
2. Chris Goodwin (EU) def. Michael Starr (CMS) 6-3, 6-2
3. Robbie Erani (CMS) def. Mark Boren (EU) 7-5, 6-3
4. Colin Egan (EU) def. Russell Brockett (CMS) 6-2, 6-3
5. Oliver Lopp (EU) def. Victor Chien (CMS) 6-2, 6-1
6. Phillip Overdiek (EU) def. Ronald Wu (CMS) 6-4, 7-6 (7-4)
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (2,1,3,4,5,6)
Emory will face Washington (Mo.) in the finals on Sunday at 9 a.m. CST.
Claremont-Mudd-Scripps will face Kenyon for third place on Sunday at 9 a.m. CST.