Stags Move to Semis of National Indoors
SAINT PETER, Minn. - Top-seed Washington University (Mo.), No. 2
seed Emory, No. 3 seed Claremont-Mudd-Scripps, and No. 5 Kenyon
posted quarterfinal wins Friday at the Intercollegiate Tennis
Association Division III National Men's Team Indoor Championships.
Gustavus Adolphus is hosting this year's championship for the
seventh consecutive year at the Swanson Tennis Center where eight
of the top 15 teams in Division III tennis are competing to
determine the 2009 ITA National Indoor Champion.
Washington University (Mo.) posted a convincing 9-0 first round win over No. 8 Trinity (Texas) as the Bears failed to drop a single set during the match. Washington University will face Kenyon, which was 5-4 winners over UC-Santa Cruz, in one of Saturday's 2 p.m. semifinals. In the other semifinal, No. 2 seed Emory will take on No. 3 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps, as Emory defeated No. 7 Mary Washington 9-0 and Claremont-Mudd-Scripps defeated No. 6 seed and defending champion Gustavus Adolphus 6-3.
Saturday's schedule has the losers of Friday's matches playing in consolation matches beginning at 8:30 a.m., while the winners will play in semifinal matches beginning at 2 p.m. Consolation finals are slated to start at 7:30 p.m. on Saturday. The third place and championship matches will begin at 9 a.m. on Sunday morning.
#3 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps 6, #9 Gustavus Adolphus College 3
Feb 20, 2009 at St. Peter, Minn. (Swanson Tennis Center)
1. Mike Burdakin/John Kauss (GAC) def. Guillaume Schils/Lawrence Wang (CMS) 8-5
2. Michael Starr/Ronald Wu (CMS) def. Charlie Paukert/Ben Tomasek (GAC) 8-5
3. Kevin Stickney/Nick Hansen (GAC) def. Robbie Erani/Eric MacColl (CMS) 8-5
1. John Kauss (GAC) def. Lawrence Wang (CMS) 6-2, 6-3
2. Michael Starr (CMS) def. Charlie Paukert (GAC) 7-6 (8-6), 6-3
3. Robbie Erani (CMS) def. Mike Burdakin (GAC) 6-3, 6-2
4. Russell Brockett (CMS) def. Kevin Stickney (GAC) 6-1, 6-3
5. Victor Chien (CMS) def. Ben Tomasek (GAC) 7-6 (8-6), 6-2
6. Ronald Wu (CMS) def. Patrick Clark (GAC) 6-0, 6-4
Gustavus Adolphus College 3-3; National ranking #9
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (4,1,2,3,6,5)