Stags Advance to NCAA West Region Final
CMS Men’s Tennis advanced to the third round of the NCAA
Team Championship with a 5-0 win over Redlands on Friday. Senior
Wang (Orange, CA) won at #1 singles and #1 doubles to
lead the Stags to their third win over Redlands this season. CMS
will now play top seed UC Santa Cruz for the opportunity to return
to Claremont and the Biszantz Family Tennis Center for the final
three rounds ot the team championship.
CMS set the tone for this match in the doubles, winning comfortably at #2 and #3 doubles. Number three pair Russell Brockett (So. – Austin, TX) and Guillaume Schils (Sr. – Shaker Heights, OH) found themselves down two breaks of serve at 3-0, before settling down to win eight of the next nine games for an 8-4 victory. Robbie Erani (Fr. – New York, NY) and Ronald Wu (So. – Los Altos, CA) were 8-5 winners at #2, which set the stage for Wang and Mikey Lim (Jr. – Honolulu, HI) to complete the doubles sweep at #1. Down a break and receiving to stay in the match at 7-6, Lim and Wang broke, held, and broke again to earn a 9-7 victory and put the Stags up 3-0.
In the singles played to decision, Wang and Erani earned straight set wins at #1 and #2 to clinch the victory for the Stags. Wang’s victory was his 25th on the season and 90th in his career, putting him fourth best all-time. CMS improves to 26-5 on the season and advances to their fourth straight NCAA West Regional Final.
#4 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps 5 vs #10 Redlands 0
May 8, 2009 NCAA Second Round at UC Santa Cruz
1. Mikey Lim / Lawrence Wang (CMS) def. Cam Spearman / Mike Reading (RED) 9-7
2. Robbie Erani / Ronald Wu (CMS) def. Keven Wong / Jeff Hammond (RED) 8-5
3. Russell Brockett / Guillaume Schils (CMS) def. Chris Trippel / Casey Fashouer (RED) 8-4
1. Lawrence Wang (CMS) def. Cam Spearman (RED) 6-4, 6-2
2. Robbie Erani (CMS) def. Mike Reading (RED) 6-4, 6-3
3. Mikey Lim (CMS) vs. Chris Trippel (RED) 6-0, 2-6, 5-2
4. Victor Chien (CMS) vs. Matt Liebman (RED) 6-0, 4-4
5. Eric MacColl (CMS) vs. Aron Ouye (RED) 6-3, 5-6
6. Russell Brockett (CMS) vs. Jeff Hammond (RED) 6-3, 3-6, 1-2
Order of completion
Doubles: 2, 3, 1
Singles: 1, 2,