Mens Tennis Falls in Regional Final
The CMS Men’s Tennis season ended Saturday with a tough
5-0 loss at UC Santa Cruz in the final of the NCAA West Regional.
On a day when the Stags were simply outplayed, senior Captain Lawrence
Wang (Orange, CA) provided one of the few bright
spots. Wang fought back from a 5-2, 30-love deficit in the first
set to take a commanding 7-5, 5-2 lead at #1 singles when the dual
match was decided.
CMS fell behind early in the doubles and had few opportunities to make things close. Number two pair Robbie Erani (Fr. – New York, NY) and Ronald Wu (So. – Los Altos, CA) earned one of three breaks back, before falling 8-4. Wang and junior Mikey Lim (Honolulu, HI) had break points at 4-6 to take a two-break 7-4 lead at #1 doubles, but came up short in an 8-6 loss.
The Stags end their season by advancing to the NCAA Regional Final for the fourth consecutive year. CMS finishes 26-6 and 10-0 in SCIAC.
#4 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps 0 vs #3 UC Santa Cruz 5
May 9, 2009 NCAA Third Round at UC Santa Cruz
1. Max Liberty-Point / Ilya Gendelman (UCSC) def. Mikey Lim / Lawrence Wang (CMS) 8-6
2. Jared Kamel / Marc Vartabedian (UCSC) def. Robbie Erani / Ronald Wu (CMS) 8-4
3. Max Ortiz / Colin Mark-Griffin (UCSC) def. Russell Brockett / Guillaume Schils (CMS) 8-4
1. Lawrence Wang (CMS) vs. Max Liberty-Point (UCSC) 7-5, 5-2
2. Robbie Erani (CMS) vs. Jared Kamel (UCSC) 3-6, 3-2
3. Mikey Lim (CMS) vs. Max Ortiz (UCSC) 2-6, 3-4
4. Ilya Gendelman (UCSC) def. Victor Chien (CMS) 6-2, 6-3
5. Eric MacColl (CMS) vs. Colin Mark-Griffin (UCSC) 4-6, 2-5
6. Marc Vartabedian (UCSC) def. Russell Brockett (CMS) 6-2, 6-1
Order of completion
Doubles: 3, 2, 1
Singles: 4, 6