Mens Tennis Heads To Conference Tourney As Top Seed
CMS Men’s Tennis defeated Pomona-Pitzer 7-2 on Saturday
night, clinching its fourth straight undefeated regular season
conference title, and making them top seed in the SCIAC tournament
next weekend at Redlands. The Stags were led against the Sagehens
by junior Mikey
Lim (Honolulu, HI [pictured right]), who won at #1
doubles and #3 singles.
CMS revealed new doubles combinations against Pomona-Pitzer, with Lim partnering Senior captain Lawrence Wang (Orange, CA) at #1, and Guillaume Schils (Sr. – Shaker Heights, OH) playing with Eric MacColl (Jr. – Greenbrae, CA) at #3. In sweeping the doubles, CMS got its first point from #2 team Ronald Wu (So. – Los Altos, CA) and Robbie Erani (Fr. – New York, NY). Their 8-2 victory was closely followed by Lim and Wang’s 8-2 win at #1. At #3, Schils and MacColl faced one match point against them, but held on to win in a tie-break to secure the doubles sweep.
In the singles, the Stags got decisive wins at the bottom of their lineup, with freshman Victor Chien (Diamond Bar, CA) and sophomore Russell Brockett (Austin, TX) earning straight set victories at #6 and #5 to clinch the dual match. Wang and Lim each doubled their win totals for the night with straight set wins at #1 and #3 singles to round out the Stags’ scoring.
CMS is now 22-4 overall and 7-0 in SCIAC. CMS will face Caltech in the opening round of the conference tournament at Redlands on Friday. Two rounds will be played Friday, with the final matches concluding Saturday morning.
#3 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps 7 vs #29 Pomona-Pitzer 2
April 11, 2009 at CMS (Biszantz Family Tennis Center)
1. Mikey Lim / Lawrence Wang (CMS) def. Cam Taylor / Uday Singh (PP) 8-2
2. Robbie Erani / Ronald Wu (CMS) def. Alex Groth / Drew Cohn (PP) 8-2
3. Eric MacColl / Guillaume Schils (CMS) def. Ramsey Bernard / Grant Friedman (PP) 9-8(6)
1. Lawrence Wang (CMS) def. Cam Taylor (PP) 6-1, 7-5
2. Tommy Meyer (PP) def. Robbie Erani (CMS) 6-2, 6-4
3. Mikey Lim (CMS) def Nick Tagliarino (PP) 6-2, 6-4
4. Uday Singh (PP) def. Eric MacColl (CMS) 3-6, 6-4, (10-8)
5. Russell Brockett (CMS) def. Alex Groth (PP) 6-2, 6-4
6. Victor Chien (CMS) def. Ramsey Bernard (PP) 6-2, 6-0
Order of completion
Doubles: 2, 1, 3
Singles: 6, 5, 2, 3, 1, 4