Stags Defeat #12 Mary Washington 8-1
CMS Men’s Tennis defeated #12 Mary Washington 8-1 in a
rain delayed dual match Friday, with senior captain Lawrence
Wang (Orange, CA) winning decisively at #1 singles and
doubles. Junior Eric
MacColl (Greenbrae, CA [pictured right]) was also a
two-time winner on the afternoon, earning victories at #5 singles
and #3 doubles.
The Stags unveiled two new doubles combinations at #2 and #3, and played their best doubles of the season, yielding only seven games in three pro-sets. Freshman Robbie Erani (New York, NY) partnered Ronald Wu (So. – Los Altos, CA) at #2 doubles and were the first team to win, while MacColl played with junior Thomas Keiffer (La Jolla, CA) at #3 doubles. Wang and partner Guillaume Schils (Shaker Heights, OH) won at #1 against UMW’s Loden and Murata, a team they beat in May en route to capturing their NCAA doubles crown. The victory was Schils and Wang’s eighty-first career win as a Stags doubles team.
In the singles, CMS got ahead quickly on all six courts, winning first sets at #1 and #4-6 when rain suspended play. After a ninety minute delay, the Stags re-took the courts and clinched the victory with wins by MacColl and Wang at #5 and #1 respectively. CMS increased its lead to 7-0 with straight set wins by Russell Brockett (So. – Austin, TX) and Victor Chien (Fr. – Diamond Bar, CA) at #4 and #6, before splitting two match tie-break decided contests at #2 and #3.
CMS is now 10-1 overall and plays 8th ranked Kenyon College at 9:30 AM and then 21st ranked UT-Tyler at 2:00 PM on Saturday. The Stags defeated Kenyon 5-4 in the third place playoff at the ITA National Team Indoors on February 22 in St. Peter, MN.
Claremont-Mudd-Scripps 8 vs Mary Washington 1
March 6, 2009 at CMS (Biszantz Family Tennis Center)
1. Guillaume Schils / Lawrence Wang (CMS) def. Randy Loden / Kaz Murata (UMW) 8-2
2. Robbie Erani / Ronald Wu (CMS) def. Jason Dunn / John James (UMW) 8-1
3. Thomas Keiffer / Eric MacColl (CMS) def. Evan Goff / Bryce Parrish (UMW) 8-4
1. Lawrence Wang (CMS) def. John James (UMW) 6-2, 6-1
2. Randy Loden (UMW) def. Robbie Erani (CMS) 1-6, 7-6(5), (10-7)
3. Mikey Lim (CMS) def. Jason Dunn (UMW) 6-4, 6-7(3), (10-3)
4. Russell Brockett (CMS) def. Riley Bauer 6-1, 6-2
5. Eric MacColl (CMS) def. Andrew Frisk (UMW) 6-1, 6-3
6. Victor Chien (CMS) def. Bryce Parrish (UMW) 6-1, 6-4
Order of completion
Doubles: 2, 1, 3
Singles: 5, 1, 4, 6, 2, 3