Stags Take Out #9 Carnegie Mellon 7-2
In their first test against a nationally ranked Division III opponent, CMS Stags Tennis dominated #9 Carnegie Mellon 7-2 on Wednesday night. CMS got it’s leadership from the top, with #1 singles player Robbie Erani (So. – New York, NY [pictured right]) getting two convincing wins.
The Stags took two of three doubles, winning easily at #2 and #3. Erani and partner Ronald Wu (Jr. – Los Altos, CA) won their fourth straight dual match by a convincing 8-2 margin at #2. Similarly, #3 pair Eric MacColl (Sr. – Greenbrae, CA) and Brandon Wei (So. – Lake Oswego, OR) won their fourth straight 8-3, to remain perfect on the season.
In the singles, CMS got an important decisive win from senior captain Mikey Lim (Honolulu, HI), who rebounded from a tough doubles outing to win at the #2 position 6-1, 6-0. With the Stags up 3-1, Carnegie Mellon took #3 in straight sets, but that would be their final victory of the evening. CMS earned straight set wins at #1, #4, and #5 to take a commanding 6-2 lead. Freshman Alex Johnson (Thousand Oaks, CA), playing at #6 singles, had to work hard to preserve his perfect dual match record. Johnson had led 4-2 in the first set and lost it, and then led 4-0 in the second before serving 5-6 to stay in the match. Johnson held serve, then won the second set tie-break, before his opponent cramped and then retired with Johnson leading 2-1 in the match tie-break.
CMS is now 6-2 overall and plays #13 Trinity University on Thursday evening at 6:00 PM.
#5 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps 7 vs #9
Carnegie Mellon 2
March 10, 2010 at Claremont, Calif. (Biszantz Family Tennis Center)
1. Nikola Ljuboja / James Muliawan (CMU) def. Mikey Lim / Thomas Keiffer (CMS) 8-4
2. Robbie Erani / Ronald Wu (CMS) def. Alex Nemerov / Bobby MacTaggart (CMU) 8-2
3. Eric MacColl / Brandon Wei (CMS) def. Jeremy King / Duke Miller (CMU) 8-3
1. Robbie Erani (CMS) def. Alex Nemerov (CMU) 6-4, 6-2
2. Mikey Lim (CMS) def. Bobby MacTaggart (CMU) 6-1, 6-0
3. James Muliawan (CMU) def. Ronald Wu (CMS) 6-3, 6-2
4. Mac Cahill (CMS) def. Duke Miller (CMU) 6-2, 6-3
5. Russell Brockett (CMS) def. Jon Spero (CMU) 6-1, 6-3
6. Alex Johnson (CMS) def. Harsha Rao (CMU) 4-6, 7-6(1), (2-1 Ret.)
Order of completion
Doubles: 2, 3, 1
Singles: 2, 3, 4, 1, 5, 6