CMS Into NCAA Final Four With 5-2 Win Over Trinity
Senior Eric MacColl (Greenbrae, CA [pictured right]) won at #2 doubles and got the match clinching victory at #3 singles to lead the Stags to a 5-2 win over #13 Trinity, TX in the NCAA Team Championships Quarterfinals on Tuesday. CMS fought back from a 2-1 deficit after the doubles, winning at #2, #3, #5, and #6 singles to earn a spot in the Division III Final Four. The Stags will play #5 Amherst in the semifinals at 1:00 PM EST on Wednesday.
In yet another exciting set of doubles pro-sets, the Stags found themselves down 2-1 when they failed to convert their only match point at #3 doubles. Russell Brockett (Jr. - Austin, TX) and Mikey Lim (Sr. - Honolulu, HI) took a match with no service breaks into a tie-break hoping to give CMS an advantage heading into singles. Brockett and Lim raced out to a 5-1 lead in the breaker before Trinity fought back to 5-all. Brockett's backhand return winner gave the Stags' #3 a match point, but Trinity played three consecutive great points to give them the win and the 2-1 advantage.
Unfazed, CMS wasted no time in winning first sets at all singles but the #1 position. Freshman Alex Johnson (Thousand Oaks, CA) got the Stags even at 2-all with his nineteenth singles win of the season, in straight sets at #5. Lim put his team up for good with his second two-set win over Bobby Cocanougher in 2010. Next was freshman Mac Cahill (Southport, CT), a 6-4, 6-2 winner at #6, good enough to put CMS up 4-2 in matches with three still in action. With Robbie Erani (So. - New York, NY) and Brockett still battling at #1 and #3 singles respectively, it was MacColl who closed out the win for the Stags. With two early breaks in the third set, MacColl held on for a 6-2 victory to advance CMS into the semis.
CMS is now 23-5 on the season and plays Amherst for the second time in 2010. Amherst was a 6-3 winner at CMS' Biszantz Family Tennis Center on March 20, in the teams' first meeting.
#3 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (5) vs. #13
Trinity, TX (2)
May 25, 2010 at Oberlin, OH (Don Hunsinger Courts) - NCAA Quarterfinals
1. Cory Kowal / Bobby Cocanougher (Trin) def. Robbie Erani / Ronald Wu (CMS) 8-1
2. Eric MacColl / Brandon Wei (CMS) def. Max Frey / Erick DelaFuente (Trin) 8-6
3. Ben Carroll / Don Murray (Trin) def. Russell Brockett / Mikey Lim (CMS) 9-8(6)
1. Robbie Erani (CMS) vs. Max Frey (Trin) 6-7, 6-6 (3-3) DNF
2. Mikey Lim (CMS) def. Bobby Cocanougher (Trin) 6-4, 6-3
3. Eric MacColl (CMS) def. Erick DelaFuente (Trin) 6-0, 2-6, 6-2
4. Russell Brockett (CMS) vs. Cory Kowal (Trin) 7-6(3), 2-6, 0-1 DNF
5. Alex Johnson (CMS) def. Don Murray (Trin) 6-0, 6-4
6. Mac Cahill (CMS) def. Ben Carroll (Trin) 6-4, 6-2
Doubles: 1, 2, 3
Singles: 5, 2, 6, 3