Men's Tennis Shuts Out Pomona-Pitzer 9-0
CMS Men's Tennis moved to 5-0 in conference play and 16-4 overall, with a 9-0 shutout at #22 Pomona-Pitzer on Saturday. A doubles sweep led by #3 team Russell Brockett (Jr. - Austin, TX) and Mac Cahill (Fr. - Southport, CT)[pictured right] got the Stags ahead for good against their cross-campus rivals. CMS featured two different doubles teams from their match against Redlands less than twenty-four hours earlier.
The Stags won in straight sets at four of the six singles positions. At #1, Robbie Erani (So. – New York, NY) brought his 18-2 singles record and #3 national singles ranking against Pomona-Pitzer’s Tommy Meyer, ranked 21st nationally and one of the conference’s best players. Erani, who had a 2-1 career record against Meyer, had most recently beaten Meyer in the semis of the ITA West Regional in October. In the closest match of the dual, Erani blew a 5-1 first set lead and later returned serve to stay in the match, but ultimately prevailed in three tie-breaks to defeat Meyer on his home court. Eric MacColl (Sr. – Greenbrae, CA) who partnered Erani earlier in the doubles, similarly dropped the first set at #3 and then rebounded to win in three sets. The win was MacColl’s thirteenth in sixteen matches this season.
CMS faces 4th ranked Cal Lutheran next Saturday at the Biszantz Family Tennis Center, in what will determine the SCIAC regular season title and top seed in the SCIAC tournament.
#5 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps 9 at #22
April 3, 2010 at Claremont, Calif. (Pomona Tennis Courts)
1. Mikey Lim / Thomas Keiffer (CMS) def. Frankie Allinson / Uday Singh (PP) 8-4
2. Robbie Erani / Eric MacColl (CMS) def. Alex Groth / Tommy Meyer (PP) 8-5
3. Russell Brockett / Mac Cahill (CMS) def. Grant Friedman / Max Sabel (PP) 8-3
1. Robbie Erani (CMS) def. Tommy Meyer (PP) 6-7(4), 7-6(2), (10-7)
2. Mikey Lim (CMS) def. Uday Singh (PP) 6-4, 6-1
3. Eric MacColl (CMS) def. Frankie Allinson (PP) 1-6, 6-2, (10-3)
4. Russell Brockett (CMS) def. Alex Groth (PP) 6-2, 6-2
5. Victor Chien (CMS) def. Max Sabel (PP) 7-5, 6-2
6. Mac Cahill (CMS) def. Ramsey Bernard (PP) 6-3, 6-1
Order of completion
Doubles: 3, 2, 1
Singles: 4, 6, 3, 2, 5, 1