Stags Stay Undefeated in SCIAC, Win at Redlands
CMS Men’s Tennis extended its program best conference unbeaten streak to 45 matches with a 7-2 win at 18th ranked Redlands on Friday. Mac Cahill (Fr. - Southport, CT [pictured right]) was part of a singles sweep by the Stags, winning his third match in a row and eleventh on the year at the #6 position.
CMS got off to a slow start in the doubles and trailed 2-1 after the break. After dropping #2 doubles 8-4, CMS evened the score with an 8-6 win by Russell Brockett (Jr. – Austin, TX) and Eric MacColl (Sr. – Greenbrae, CA) at #3. Robbie Erani (So. – New York, NY) and Ronald Wu (Jr. – Los Altos, CA) had an early service break at #1, and then a match point at 5-6 in the tie-break, before falling 9-8(7) at #1.
Trailing 2-1, the Stags picked up singles momentum by winning five of six first sets. Erani was the first to win for CMS, earning a straight set victory at #1 for his 18th win of the season. With the dual match tied at 2-all, Brockett held off a late-charge at #4 singles, winning 6-1, 6-4 and putting CMS up for good at 3-2. Cahill got the Stags one point closer to victory with his 7-5, 6-3 win at #6, and then sophomore Victor Chien (Diamond Bar, CA) clinched the match for CMS with his 7-5, 7-5 win at #5. MacColl and senior captain Mikey Lim (Honolulu, HI) rounded out the sweep for the Stags with hard fought three-set wins at #3 and #2 respectively. Lim battled back from a set down, and then 3-5 down in the third to earn his 12th win of the season.
CMS is now 15-4 overall and 4-0 in SCIAC play. The Stags play at 22nd ranked Pomona-Pitzer on Saturday in another key conference match-up.
#5 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps 7 at #18
April 2, 2010 at Redlands, Calif.
1. Anish Nanda / Cameron Spearman (RED) def. Robbie Erani / Ronald Wu (CMS) 9-8(7)
2. Jeff Hammond / Keven Wong (RED) def. Mikey Lim / Thomas Keiffer (CMS) 8-4
3. Eric MacColl / Russell Brockett (CMS) def. Connor Hyde / Lander Jewett (RED) 8-6
1. Robbie Erani (CMS) def. Cameron Spearman (RED) 6-2, 6-4
2. Mikey Lim (CMS) def. Anish Nanda (RED) 3-6, 7-6(4), 7-5
3. Eric MacColl (CMS) def. Jeff Hammond (RED) 6-2, 4-6, 6-4
4. Russell Brockett (CMS) def. Darren Dahl (RED) 6-1, 6-4
5. Victor Chien (CMS) def. Taylor Chaparro (RED) 7-5, 7-5
6. Mac Cahill (CMS) def. Connor Hyde (RED) 7-5, 6-3
Order of completion
Doubles: 2, 3, 1
Singles: 1, 4, 6, 5, 3, 2