Mens Tennis Wins 9-0 at Whittier
CMS Men's Tennis moved to 2-0 in SCIAC with a 9-0 victory at Whittier on Friday. After sweeping the doubles, the Stags won in straight sets at all six singles positions. Freshmen Alex Johnson (Thousand Oaks, CA) and Sam Wong (Palo Alto, CA), and sophomore Ethan Bond (Beverly Hills, CA) led CMS by yielding a combined five games at #3, #4, and #6 singles.
Sophomore Victor Chien (Diamond Bar, CA) was tested at #2 singles, but held on to win in two tie-break sets. Max Mullen (SO - Westport, CT [pictured right]) was a 6-4, 6-3 winner at #5 singles, while Eric MacColl (SR - Greenbrae, CA) won his second straight match, this time at #1 singles by a 6-2, 6-1 score.
Next up for the Stags is a home double header against Westmont and Chapman on Saturday. Match times are 11:00 AM and 4:00 PM. CMS is 2-0 in conference play and 2-1 overall.
#5 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps 9 vs Whittier
Feb 19, 2010 at Whittier, Calif. (Richard Ettinger Tennis Courts)
1. Mikey Lim / Thomas Keiffer (CMS) def. Justin DeLong / Sean
Robertson (WC) 8-4
2. Robbie Erani / Ronald Wu (CMS) def. Julian Seneviratne / Patricio Carregha (WC) 8-5
3. Russell Brockett / Mac Cahill (CMS) def. Gavin Smith / Frank Sun (WC) 8-3
1. Eric MacColl (CMS) def. Patricio Carregha (WC) 6-2, 6-1
2. Victor Chien (CMS) def. Julian Seneviratne (WC) 7-6 (5), 7-6 (2)
3. Alex Johnson (CMS) def. Sean Robertson (WC) 6-0, 6-1
4. Sam Wong (CMS) def. Justin DeLong (WC) 6-1, 6-0
5. Max Mullen (CMS) def. Gavin Smith (WC) 6-4, 6-3
6. Ethan Bond (CMS) def. Frank Sun (WC) 6-2, 6-1
Order of completion
Doubles: 3, 1, 2
Singles: 6, 3, 4, 5, 1, 2