Stags 7-2 Winners Over Gustavus
CMS' #1 doubles team Ronald Wu (Sr. Capt - Los Altos, CA) and Zhenya Pereverzin (Fr. - Clackamas, OR) won their seventh match as a tandem, and then went on to win easily at #4 and #6 singles respectively, as the Stags defeated 30th ranked Gustavus Adolphus College by a 7-2 margin.
The Stags held on for a tough 2-1 advantage after the doubles with #3 team Russell Brockett (Sr. - Austin, TX) and Mac Cahill (So. - Southport, CT) putting CMS up for good with an 8-4 win. Five of six Stags were easy straight set winners in singles. Wu won his 15th singles match of the year against only two defeats, while Pereverzin moved to 11-2 in singles dual matches and 13-3 overall. Cahill's win at #5 singles was his third straight and ninth of the dual match season.
CMS moves to 16-3 overall and is ranked #3 nationally in Division III. Next up for the Stags is a SCIAC home contest on Friday at 2:00 PM against Whittier College.
#3 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (7) vs. #30
Gustavus Adolphus College (2)
March 31, 2011 at Claremont, CA (Biszantz Family Tennis Center)
1. Zhenya Pereverzin / Ronald Wu (CMS) def. Amrik Donkena / Patrick Clark (GAC) 9-7
2. Tyler Johnson / Joey MacGibbon (GAC) def. Alex Lane / Neel Kotrappa (CMS) 8-4
3. Russell Brockett / Mac Cahill (CMS) def. Juan Luis Chu / Marcel Gyswyt (GAC) 8-4
1. Alex Lane (CMS) def. Amrik Donkena (GAC) 6-2, 6-3
2. Patrick Clark (GAC) def. Alex Johnson (CMS) 6-1, 5-7, (10-5)
3. Russell Brockett (CMS) def. Juan Luis Chu (GAC) 6-2, 6-2
4. Ronald Wu (CMS) def. Tyler Johnson (GAC) 6-0, 6-0
5. Mac Cahill (CMS) def. Marcel Gyswyt (GAC) 6-1, 6-3
6. Zhenya Pereverzin (CMS) def. Joey MacGibbon (GAC) 6-2, 6-3
Doubles: 2, 1, 3
Singles: 4, 3, 6, 5, 1, 2