Men's Tennis Wins at #8 Pomona-Pitzer
Sophomore Alex Johnson (Thousand Oaks, CA [pictured]) got the clinching straight set victory at #3 singles, as CMS won the battle of undefeated SCIAC teams and took out #8 Pomona-Pitzer by an 8-1 margin on Saturday. The Stags close out the conference regular season 6-0 and enter the SCIAC tournament next Friday as the top seeded team.
The Stags continued their dominant doubles play in league, completing a sweep in all six of their SCIAC contests and in each of their last six dual matches. CMS got their first point at #3 doubles, as Russell Brockett (Sr. - Austin, TX) and Robbie Erani (Jr. - New York, NY) were 8-4 winners. Brockett and Erani are now 6-2 in eight matches together and have won six straight as a pair. Number two team Alex Lane (So. - Claremont, CA) and Brandon Wei (Jr. - Lake Oswego, OR) put the Stags ahead 2-0 with their fifth straight win. Lane and Wei are now 14-3 in dual match play this spring. CMS completed the sweep with #1 team Zhenya Pereverzin (Fr. - Clackamas, OR) and Ronald Wu (Sr. Capt - Los Altos, CA) pulling out a tough 9-7 win. Pereverzin and Wu had only one break point, but converted it on match point at 7-8, 30-40 to earn the victory.
In singles, Wu and Johnson were easy winners at #5 and #3 respectively. Lane failed to serve out the first set at 5-4 at #1 singles, but then rattled off eight straight games for a 7-5, 6-0 win that put CMS up 6-0. Pereverzin bounced back from a one set deficit to win a match tie-break at #6, and Brockett was a comfortable 6-4, 6-2 winner at #4.
CMS is now 22-3 overall and 6-0 in conference play. As #1 seeds in the SCIAC tournament, CMS will play the winner of #4 Cal Lutheran and #5 Whittier on Friday afternoon at Pomona College's Pauley Courts.
#3 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (8) vs. #8
April 16, 2011 at Claremont, CA (Pauley Tennis Complex, Pomona College)
1. Zhenya Pereverzin / Ronald Wu (CMS) def. Tommy Meyer / Frankie Allinson (Pomona-Pitzer) 9-7
2. Alex Lane / Brandon Wei (CMS) def. Uday Singh / Max Sabel (Pomona-Pitzer) 8-5
3. Russell Brockett / Robbie Erani (CMS) def. Alex Groth / Chris Wiechert (Pomona-Pitzer) 8-4
1. Alex Lane (CMS) def. Tommy Meyer (Pomona-Pitzer) 7-5, 6-0
2. Chris Wiechert (Pomona-Pitzer) def. Robbie Erani (CMS) 6-3, 6-7(5), (10-7)
3. Alex Johnson (CMS) def. Frankie Allinson (Pomona-Pitzer) 6-3, 6-2
4. Russell Brockett (CMS) def. Uday Singh (Pomona-Pitzer) 6-4, 6-2
5. Ronald Wu (CMS) def. Max Sabel (Pomona-Pitzer) 6-3, 6-1
6. Zhenya Pereverzin (CMS) def. Nick Tagliarino (Pomona-Pitzer) 3-6, 6-2, (10-8)
Doubles: 3, 2, 1
Singles: 5, 3, 1, 6, 4, 2