Freshman Cameron Bernhardt (San Diego, CA [pictured right]) won in straight sets at #6, as the Stags did not drop a set in singles en route to an 8-1 victory over #26 Gustavus Adolphus on Friday. The Stags have compiled a record of 7-3 against ten nationally ranked opponents in their last eleven matches.
For Bernhardt, it was the first time this spring that he had started a dual match, and it also marked the first time all three Stags freshmen from San Diego had played together. Warren Wood (Fr. - Del Mar, CA) and Nik Marino (Fr. - San Diego, CA) lost their first match at the top doubles spot, but then came back nicely in the singles to clinch the match for CMS. Wood trailed 2-0 at #1 singles before running off twelve of the last thirteen games to secure his thirteenth win of the season. Marino similarly trailed 4-1 in the first set at #3, before winning twelve of the last fourteen games, giving the Stags a dual match clinching 5-1 lead.
Robbie Erani (Sr. Capt - New York, NY) and Neel Kotrappa (So. - La Verne, CA) earned their third straight singles wins at #2 and #4 respectively. It was Kotrappa's team leading eleventh dual match singles victory of the season. Kotrappa and partner Brandon Wei (Sr. - Lake Oswego, OR) also extended their winning streak to eleven in doubles, as the Stags' #2 team were comfortable 8-3 winners.
CMS moves to 12-6 overall with the victory and will take on SCIAC foe Occidental on Saturday at 10:00 AM at the Biszantz Family Tennis Center. Following the conference match in the morning, the Stags will take on NAIA #6 Vanguard University at 3:00 PM.
#8 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (8) vs. #26
Gustavus Adolphus College (1)
April 6, 2012 at Claremont, CA (Biszantz Family Tennis Center)
1. Amrik Donkena / Mya Smith-Dennis (GAC) def. Warren Wood / Nik Marino (CMS) 9-7
2. Neel Kotrappa / Brandon Wei (CMS) def. Daniel Pomeranc / Juan Luis Chu (GAC) 8-3
3. Robbie Erani / Victor Chien (CMS) def. Joey MacGibbon / Bradley Entwistle (GAC) 8-5
1. Warren Wood (CMS) def. Amrik Donkena (GAC) 6-3, 6-0
2. Robbie Erani (CMS) def. Mya Smith-Dennis (GAC) 7-6(3), 7-5
3. Nik Marino (CMS) def. Juan Luis Chu (GAC) 7-5, 6-1
4. Neel Kotrappa (CMS) def. Tyler Johnson (GAC) 6-2, 6-4
5. Alex Johnson (CMS) def. Joey MacGibbon (GAC) 6-3, 6-3
6. Cameron Bernhardt (CMS) def. Bradley Entwistle (GAC) 7-5, 6-0
Doubles: 2, 3, 1
Singles: 1, 4, 3, 5, 6, 2