The 2012 CMS Stags Tennis season came to an end on Monday, as #4 Kenyon defeated CMS 5-0 in the NCAA Team Championships Quarterfinals. The Stags end their 2012 campaign with a 21-7 record.
While the final score wasn't indicative of the closeness of this match, Kenyon was able to capitalize on a doubles sweep and then hold on for two wins at the top of the lineup. CMS had unrealized opportunities at both the #3 and #1 doubles positions. At the third position, Neel Kotrappa (So - La Verne, CA) and Brandon Wei (Sr. Lake Oswego, OR) led 5-6, 15-40, but could not convert on either break point. After holding serve, Kenyon's third pair then broke serve at thirty and then served out the match for a 2-0 dual match lead. At the top position, the Stags Alex Lane (Jr. - Claremont, CA) and Robbie Erani (Sr. Capt - New York, NY) were engaged in a multiple lead change match, seizing their first lead at 6-5, before serving to stay in the match at 6-7 and 7-8. In the tie-break, Kenyon's #1 team hit two forehand return winners to put them up 4-1, and then held on for 7-4 win to complete the sweep.
Despite losing first sets at the #1, #2, and #5 singles positions, CMS fought hard to shift the momentum back in its favor. The Stags led 6-4, 4-1 at #3, had a point for a 4-2 lead in the third set at #4, two match points at #5, and were serving for the match at #6, when Kenyon clinched the dual match with a win at #1.
Stags seniors Erani and Wei end their collegiate careers having played key roles in CMS' success over the past four years. Erani finishes with a 65-31 career singles record and an 82-38 career doubles record. Wei finishes with a 15-7 career singles record and a 78-22 career doubles record.
#5 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (0) vs. #4
May 21, 2012 at Cary, NC (Cary Tennis Park) - NCAA Team Championship Quarterfinals
1. Tim Rosensteel / Austin Griffin (Kenyon) def. Alex Lane / Robbie Erani (CMS) 9-8(4)
2. Michael Razumovsky / CJ Williams (Kenyon) def. Warren Wood / Nik Marino (CMS) 8-4
3. Paul Burgin / Kevin Ye (Kenyon) def. Neel Kotrappa / Brandon Wei (CMS) 8-6
1. Paul Burgin (Kenyon) def. Warren Wood (CMS) 6-4, 6-4
2. Michael Razumovsky (Kenyon) def. Alex Lane (CMS) 6-2, 6-2
3. Robbie Erani (CMS) vs. CJ Williams (Kenyon) 6-4, 4-1 DNF
4. Nik Marino (CMS) vs. Wade Heerboth (Kenyon) 6-2, 1-6, 3-2 DNF
5. Alex Johnson (CMS) vs. Tim Rosensteel (Kenyon) 1-6, 6-3, 5-0 DNF
6. Mac Cahill (CMS) vs. Jacob Huber (Kenyon) 6-2, 5-2 DNF
Doubles: 2, 3, 1
Singles: 2, 1