Men's Tennis Wins at #20 Whittier
Senior doubles team Robbie Erani (New York, NY) and Victor Chien (Diamond Bar, CA)[pictured right] were part of a Stags doubles sweep on Saturday, as CMS traveled to #20 Whittier and defeated the Poets 8-1.
The Stags are beginning to put up some impressive numbers, especially in doubles. Erani and Chien got their fifth win in eight tries on Saturday. Number one pair Warren Wood (Fr. - Del Mar, CA) and Nikolas Marino (Fr. - San Diego, CA) won their second in two days, despite losing a two break lead and needing to serve out the match a second time. The win was Wood's 15th on the season, tied with Brandon Wei (Sr. Lake Oswego, OR) for the team lead. Wei partnered Neel Kotrappa (So. - La Verne, CA) at #2 for the pair's tenth straight win.
In singles, Kotrappa was first off with a quick win at #5. Marino then clinched the match for CMS with his 6-2, 6-1 victory at #3 singles. The Stags were on the verge of a shutout when, holding a 7-0 advantage, they split third set match tie-breaks at #2 and #6.
CMS moves to 2-0 in SCIAC play and 11-6 overall and is now ranked 8th nationally in the most recent ITA poll. This week will be another busy one for the Stags as they host #26 Gustavus Adolphus on Friday and then pick up conference play on Saturday against Occidental in a morning dual, followed by an afternoon match against Vanguard, the NAIA's 6th ranked team.
#8 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (8) vs. #20
March 31, 2012 at Whittier, CA (Richard Ettinger Tennis Courts)
1. Warren Wood / Nik Marino (CMS) def. Julian Seneviratne / Patricio Carregha (Whittier) 9-7
2. Neel Kotrappa / Brandon Wei (CMS) def. Chris Schommer / Andy Hansen (Whittier) 8-3
3. Robbie Erani / Victor Chien (CMS) def. Matt Herron / Shogo Shimizu (Whittier) 8-4
1. Warren Wood (CMS) def. Julian Seneviratne (Whittier) 6-2, 6-4
2. Robbie Erani (CMS) def. Patricio Carregha (Whittier) 4-6, 7-5, (10-5)
3. Nik Marino (CMS) def. Chris Schommer (Whittier) 6-2, 6-1
4. Alex Johnson (CMS) def. Matt Herron (Whittier) 6-4, 6-3
5. Neel Kotrappa (CMS) def. Andy Hansen (Whittier) 6-0, 6-2
6. Shogo Shimizu (Whittier) def. Zhenya Pereverzin (CMS) 1-6, 6-2, (10-8)
Doubles: 2, 3, 1
Singles: 5, 3, 4, 1, 6, 2