CMS Stags Tennis dropped the opening contest of their four dual match Hawaii trip, falling to Hawaii Pacific, the fifth ranked team in Division II, by a 7-2 score. CMS earned its first point at #2 doubles, as junior captain Neel Kotrappa (La Verne, CA) and Skyler Butts (Fr. - Santa Ana, CA) stayed unbeaten in nine matches this spring. Senior Alex Lane (Claremont, CA) won his fourth straight match, this time at #3 singles, to give CMS its only other point of the afternoon.
On a cloudy day at Central Oahu Regional Park, CMS struggled to start strong in all but two matches, both of which they ended up winning. Kotrappa and Butts raced out to a 4-0 two service break lead before conceding five of the next six games. The Stags' #2 pair then held, broke, and held again to close out their match and keep CMS at only 2-1 down heading into the singles.
Similarly, Lane got an early break in the first to grab a quick lead at #3 singles. Lane then ceded breaks of serve in the third and ninth games of the opening set before losing it 6-4. His break in the second game of the second set helped him gain a 3-0 advantage, before dropping serve in the fourth game. With Lane leading 3-2 in the second set and the dual already clinched by HPU, his opponent retired with an injured shoulder.
Fellow senior Alex Johnson (Thousand Oaks, CA) - playing at #6 singles - showed great determination in winning the second set of his match after losing the first 6-1. His opportunity to give CMS its third point of the day came up short when he lost the deciding match tie-break 10-4.
CMS will take on #13 Whitman at Central Oahu Regional Park on Tuesday at 10:30 AM local time (1:30 PM PST) in an important west regional match-up for both teams.
#4 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (2) vs. #5
Hawaii Pacific (7)
March 18, 2013 at Oahu, HI (Central Oahu Regional Park)
1. Petr Michnev / Gerald Moretti (HPU) def. Warren Wood / Joe Dorn (CMS) 8-2
2. Neel Kotrappa / Skyler Butts (CMS) def. Yann Renault / Adriano Locorotondo (HPU) 8-5
3. Max Herti / Juame Martinez Vich (HPU) def. Lestter Yeh / Zhenya Pereverzin (CMS) 8-1
1. Petr Michnev (HPU) def. Warren Wood (CMS) 6-1, 6-3
2. Juame Martinez Vich (HPU) def. Nik Marino (CMS) 6-1, 6-3
3. Alex Lane (CMS) def. Gerald Moretti (HPU) 4-6, 3-2 Ret (inj)
4. Max Herti (HPU) def. Mac Cahill (CMS) 6-3, 6-3
5. Maxime Halflants (HPU) def. Neel Kotrappa (CMS) 6-2, 6-2
6. Yann Renault (HPU) def. Alex Johnson (CMS) 6-1, 4-6, (10-4)
Doubles: 3, 1, 2
Singles: 2, 5, 1, 3, 6