Men's Tennis Opens SCIAC Play With 9-0 Win Over Oxy
Three Stags had singles and doubles wins on Saturday, as CMS Men's Tennis opened conference play with a 9-0 win at the Biszantz Family Tennis Center. Sophomores Warren Wood (Del Mar, CA) and Nikolas Marino (San Diego, CA) improved their singles records to 13-3 on the year, leading CMS to wins at the top two positions respectively. Wood partnered Joe Dorn (So. - Washington D.C.) at #1 doubles, while Marino paired with junior Zhenya Pereverzin (Clackamas, OR) to win #3 doubles. Pereverzin, playing at #4 singles, was the third Stag to collect singles and doubles win in the dual. Pereverzin has now won three singles matches for CMS in the past week.
CMS' control of the dual match again began with a doubles sweep, their eighth sweep against ten Division III opponents, which includes a 28-2 doubles record in those matches. Wood and Dorn won for the 17th time at #1 to give CMS a 1-0 lead. Marino and Pereverzin, playing together for the first time, followed at #3. Then Neel Kotrappa (Jr. - La Verne, CA) and Skyler Butts (Fr. - Santa Ana, CA) improved their record to 12-1 as a team with their win at #2.
CMS was not threatened in the singles, losing no more than four games at the #2 through #6 positions. Freshman Bryan Mehall (Snowmass Village, CO) got CMS its first singles point in his dual match debut at #6. Mehall was followed by senior Matt Ellis (Mercer Island, WA), who got an easy 6-1, 6-0 win at #5 to clinch the dual match win for the Stags. Only Wood at the #1 spot faced any real challenge. Wood couldn't convert on his first two match points at 4-5 in the second set, but got the next one at 5-6 in the second.
CMS is now 12-3 overall and will face three nationally ranked teams in three days later this week. On Thursday March 28, the Stags will take on #14 Middlebury at 6:00 PM. On Friday March 29, CMS will battle #3 Williams at 2:00 PM. And then on Saturday March 30, CMS will face SCIAC rival and 22nd ranked Pomona-Pitzer. The first two of these dual matches will be played at the Biszantz Family Tennis Center and will be streamed live. Saturday's match will be at Pomona-Pitzer.
#4 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (9) vs. Occidental (0)
March 23, 2013 at Claremont, CA (Biszantz Family Tennis Center)
1. Warren Wood / Joe Dorn (CMS) def. Josh Dancou / Jordan Brown (Occidental) 8-2
2. Neel Kotrappa / Skyler Butts (CMS) def. Stephen Perkins / Jamie Grossman (Occidental) 8-4
3. Nikolas Marino / Zhenya Pereverzin (CMS) def. Kevin Siebs / Avery Howard (Occidental) 8-3
1. Warren Wood (CMS) def. Josh Dancou (Occidental) 6-3, 7-5
2. Nik Marino (CMS) def. Stephen Perkins (Occidental) 6-1, 6-3
3. Alex Johnson (CMS) def. Jordan Brown (Occidental) 6-2, 6-2
4. Zhenya Pereverzin (CMS) def. Kevin Siebs (Occidental) 6-2, 6-1
5. Matt Ellis (CMS) def. Jamie Grossman (Occidental) 6-1, 6-0
6. Bryan Mehall (CMS) def. David Cotton (Occidental) 6-1, 6-1
Order of completion
Doubles: 1, 3, 2
Singles: 6, 5, 2, 4, 1, 3