Men's Tennis Drops #10 Wash U 7-2
CMS Stags Tennis capitalized on a strong team performance at the 124th Pacific Coast Doubles tournament and defeated #10 Washington University in St. Louis by a 7-2 margin in La Jolla on Sunday. CMS was led by #1 singles and doubles player Warren Wood (So. - Del Mar, CA) who, playing on his high school courts, defeated the nation's #3 ranked singles player Adam Putterman 6-3, 6-3. Wood and partner Joe Dorn (So. - Washington D.C.) had earlier given the Stags a 3-0 lead with their 8-4 win at #1 doubles.
Other two-time winners on the day were sophomore Nikolas Marino (San Diego, CA) and freshman Skyler Butts (Santa Ana, CA). Marino and partner Alex Lane (Sr. - Claremont, CA) won at #3 doubles before Marino returned at #3 singles to win a tough 7-5, 6-1 decision. Marino trailed 3-5 in the first set and then rattled off ten of the next eleven games to give CMS its fifth and dual match clinching point. Butts was a convincing 8-3 winner at #2 doubles with partner and team captain Neel Kotrappa (Jr. - La Verne, CA), then returned at #6 singles to give the Stags their first singles win of the afternoon. Marino and Butts remain perfect in dual match singles play at 4-0 and 3-0 respectively.
CMS is now 4-1 overall and returns to action this Friday and Saturday at the Biszantz Family Tennis Center against #15 North Carolina Wesleyan (Friday at 2:00 PM) and #8 Trinity University (Saturday at 1:00 PM).
#4 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (7) vs. #10 Washington University in St. Louis (2)
March 3, 2013 at La Jolla, CA (La Jolla Country Day School)
1. Joe Dorn / Warren Wood (CMS) def. Adam Putterman / Ross Putterman (Wash U) 8-4
2. Skyler Butts / Neel Kotrappa (CMS) def. Tyler Kratky / Kareem Farah (Wash U) 8-3
3. Nik Marino / Alex Lane (CMS) def. Kevin Chu / Max Franklin (Wash U) 8-3
1. Warren Wood (CMS) def. Adam Putterman (Wash U) 6-3, 6-3
2. Joe Dorn (CMS) def. Tim Noack (Wash U) 6-4, 6-3
3. Nikolas Marino (CMS) def. Tyler Kratky (Wash U) 7-5, 6-1
4. Gary Parizher (Wash U) def. Alex Lane (CMS) 3-6, 6-4, (10-7)
5. Kareem Farah (Wash U) def. Alex Johnson (CMS) 6-1, 1-6, 6-3
6. Skyler Butts (CMS) def. Kevin Chu (Wash U) 6-4, 6-3
Order of completion
Doubles: 3, 2, 1
Singles: 6, 3, 2, 5, 1, 4