Men's Tennis Escapes Against #5 Williams
Sophomore Nikolas Marino's (San Diego, CA) dramatic comeback victory at #3 singles erased a 4-1 deficit for the Stags, as they defeated #5 Williams on Friday 5-4. The Stags were two points from elimination with Marino serving at 4-6, 5-6, 15-30, and CMS trailing 4-3 in matches. At the same time, Stags' Captain Neel Kotrappa (Jr. - La Verne, CA) was up a set but down 6-5 in the second and returning serve to stay in the set. Marino then held serve and went on to win the second set tie-break 7-1, while Kotrappa broke serve and then closed out his match with a 7-2 tie-break win. With the dual match now tied at 4-all, Marino was first to strike in the deciding set of the deciding match: a running backhand passing shot on break point to put him up 4-2. Three games later he served out the match to give himself a 6-3 victory and CMS a gritty 5-4 win.
For the second consecutive day, #1 singles and #1 doubles player Warren Wood (So. - Del Mar, CA) earned two key wins for CMS. For the first time this season against a Division III opponent, CMS trailed after the doubles. Wood and partner Joe Dorn (So. - Washington D.C.) were easy winners at #1 doubles, but CMS dropped the #2 and #3 positions.
With the Stags trailing 4-1 in matches, Alex Lane (Sr. - Claremont, CA) got the Stags' comeback under way with his straight set win at #4. Wood was next at #1, which set the stage for Kotrappa and Marino to complete the win.
CMS is now 14-3 overall and will face SCIAC rival Pomona-Pitzer on Saturday at 12:00 Noon.
#1 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (5) vs. #5
March 29, 2013 at Claremont, CA (Biszantz Family Tennis Center)
1. Warren Wood / Joe Dorn (CMS) def. Trey Meyer / Alexander Schildlovsky (Williams) 8-2
2. Felix Sun / Matt Micheli (Williams) def. Neel Kotrappa / Zhenya Pereverzin (CMS) 8-6
3. Bryan Chow / Brian Astrachan (Williams) def. Nikolas Marino / Alex Lane (CMS) 8-4
1. Warren Wood (CMS) def. Trey Meyer (Williams) 7-5, 6-1
2. Felix Sun (Williams) def. Joe Dorn (CMS) 6-0, 6-4
3. Nikolas Marino (CMS) def. Matt Micheli (Williams) 4-6, 7-6(1), 6-3
4. Alex Lane (CMS) def. Zach Weiss (Williams) 6-1, 7-5
5. Bryan Chow (Williams) def. Alex Johnson (CMS) 6-3, 6-2
6. Neel Kotrappa (CMS) def. Zach Bruchmiller (Middlebury) 7-6(3), 7-6(2)
Doubles: 1, 3, 2
Singles: 5, 2, 4, 1, 6, 3