CMS advances to NCAA semis with 5-3 win over Johns Hopkins
CLAREMONT, Calif. – In the quarterfinals of the NCAA Division III Men's Tennis Championships, top ranked CMS fought their way to a 5-3 win over Johns Hopkins on May 19 at the Biszantz Family Tennis Center. CMS improves their overall record to 29-1 and advances to the semifinals where they will play Middlebury College on May 20 at 11:00 a.m. while Johns Hopkins concludes their season with an overall record of 20-5.
CMS scored the first point of the match as Joe Dorn and Warren Wood defeated Michael Buxbaum and Emerson Walsh of JHU 8-4 at No. 1 doubles. Skyler Butts and Neel Kotrappa put CMS up 2-0 as they defeated Tanner Brown and Erik Lim of JHU 8-5. JHU avoided the shut out in doubles play as Nicholas Garcia and Noah Joachim defeated Nik Marino and Zhenya Pereverzin of CMS in No. 3 doubles 8-6.
CMS maintained its momentum from the 2-1 doubles advantage by taking four of six first sets in singles. Warren Wood defeated Michael Buxbaum of JHU at No. 1 singles 6-3, 6-4 to give CMS a 3-1 advantage. JHU answered back as Tanner Brown defeated Nik Marino of CMS 6-2, 6-4 at No. 3 singles. JHU scored their second consecutive point as Erik Lim defeated Daniel Morkovine at No. 5 singles 6-1, 6-4. With the dual match briefly tied at 3-3, Skyler Butts put CMS back on top for good as he defeated Jeremy Dubin of JHU at No. 4 singles 7-5, 6-2. Butts had saved six set points in the first set returning serve down 5-4. Senior captain Pereverzin defeated Nicholas Garcia of JHU 6-2, 7-6 (7-1) at #6 singles for his 22nd win of the year to clinch the win for CMS.
#1 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (5) vs. #7 Johns Hopkins (3)
May 19, 2014 at Claremont, CA (Biszantz Family Tennis Center) - NCAA Team Championship Quarterfinals
1. Joe Dorn / Warren Wood (CMS) def. Michael Buxbaum / Emerson Walsh (JHU) 8-4
2. Neel Kotrappa / Skyler Butts (CMS) def. Tanner Brown / Erik Lim (JHU) 8-5
3. Nicholas Garcia / Noah Joakim (JHU) def. Nik Marino / Zhenya Pereverzin (CMS) 8-6
1. Warren Wood (CMS) def. Michael Buxbaum (JHU) 6-3, 6-4
2. Joe Dorn (CMS) vs. Ben Hwang (JHU) 6-1, 5-4 DNF
3. Tanner Brown (JHU) def. Nik Marino (CMS) 6-2, 6-4
4. Skyler Butts (CMS) def. Jeremy Dubin (JHU) 7-5, 6-2
5. Erik Lim (JHU) def. Daniel Morkovine (CMS) 6-1, 6-4
6. Zhenya Pereverzin (CMS) def. Nicholas Garcia (JHU) 6-2, 7-6(1)
Order of completion
Doubles: 1, 2, 3
Singles: 1, 3, 5, 4, 6