#2 CMS Stags Tennis began its five match east coast road trip with resounding 9-0 victories at Haverford and #30 Swarthmore on Tuesday. Nine players contributed to the doubleheader shutouts, as CMS improves to 10-0 on the season. Senior captain Nik Marino (San Diego, CA) was the only Stag to play in two singles and two doubles matches, winning at #2 singles and #3 doubles against Haverford, and #3 singles and #3 doubles against Swarthmore.
In addition to Marino, senior captain Warren Wood (Del Mar, CA) and sophomore Max Macey (Wilton, CT) also contributed two singles wins each. Wood and Macey were both straight set winners in each of their matches, with Wood playing in the top singles spot in both duals, while Macey played #4 and #5 singles. Both players pick up their tenth and eleventh wins of the season, with Macey staying a perfect 8-0 in dual matches this spring.
Sophomores Daniel Morkovine (San Carlos, CA) and Rohan Shankar (San Jose, CA), as well as junior Bryan Mehall (Snowmass Village, CO) completed the scoring for CMS against Haverford. Morkovine earned the match clinching victory at #3 singles after having partnered with Skyler Butts (Jr. - Santa Ana, CA) to win at #1 doubles. Mehall paired with Marino for a win at #3 doubles before earning a straight set win at #5 to put the Stags up 8-0. Shankar closed out the scoring with a match tie-break win in lieu of a third set at #6.
Against Swarthmore, senior Joe Dorn (Washington D.C.) and sophomore Glenn Hull (Brookings, OR) added two more one-sided wins to lead the Stags. Dorn paired with Wood to put CMS up 1-0 early, and then was the first Stag to get a singles win at #4. Hull won with Marino at #3 doubles and then won 6-1, 6-1 at #6 singles.
The Stags continue their east coast trip this Friday at 12 noon EST with a match at #7 Johns Hopkins. They conclude their trip in Philadelpha on Saturday as part of one day, four team event at Penn. CMS will face Georgetown at 11 AM EST and then either Penn or Temple at 2:00 PM EST.
#2 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (9) vs. Haverford (0)
March 17, 2015 at Ardmore, PA (Norman B. Bramall Courts)
1. Skyler Butts / Daniel Morkovine (CMS) def. Luis Acaba / Harrison Elbert (Haverford) 8-3
2. Joe Dorn / Glenn Hull (CMS) def. Daisuke Nakayama / Ishaan Prinz (Haverford) 8-5
3. Nik Marino / Bryan Mehall (CMS) def. Caleb Mayer / Benjamin Soloway (Haverford) 8-1
1. Warren Wood (CMS) def. Luis Acaba (Haverford) 6-1, 6-1
2. Nikolas Marino (CMS) def. Daisuke Nakayama (Haverford) 6-4, 6-2
3. Daniel Morkovine (CMS) def. Zach Mason (Haverford) 6-2, 6-1
4. Max Macey (CMS) def. Harrison Elbert (Haverford) 6-1, 6-2
5. Bryan Mehall (CMS) def. Ishaan Prinz (Haverford) 6-2, 6-4
6. Rohan Shankar (CMS) def. Caleb Mayer (Haverford) 4-6, 6-1, (10-4)
Order of completion
Doubles: 3, 1, 2
Singles: 1, 3, 2, 4, 5, 6
#2 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (9) vs. #30 Swarthmore (0)
March 17, 2015 at Swarthmore, PA (Mike Mullan Tennis Center)
1. Joe Dorn / Warren Wood (CMS) def. Thomas Vernier / Harrison Lands (Swarthmore) 8-1
2. Skyler Butts / Daniel Morkovine (CMS) def. Mark Falatti / Ari Cepelowicz (Swarthmore) 8-6
3. Nik Marino / Glenn Hull (CMS) def. John Larkin / Blake Oetting (Swarthmore) 8-4
1. Warren Wood (CMS) def. John Larkin (Swarthmore) 7-5, 6-3
2. Skyler Butts (CMS) def. Mark Falatti (Swarthmore) 6-4, 6-2
3. Nikolas Marino (CMS) def. Ari Cepelowicz (Swarthmore) 6-0, 6-2
4. Joe Dorn (CMS) def. Blake Oetting (Swarthmore) 6-0, 6-2
5. Max Macey (CMS) def. Michael Song (Swarthmore) 6-3, 6-1
6. Glenn Hull (CMS) def. Thomas Vernier (Swarthmore) 6-1, 6-1
Order of completion
Doubles: 1, 3, 2
Singles: 4, 2, 1, 3, 6, 5