Despite losing two of three doubles matches for the first time against a D3 opponent in nearly two years, #1 CMS Stags Tennis roared back for a 6-3 win against #3 Pomona-Pitzer on Friday. CMS retains sole possession of first place in SCIAC with a 4-0 record.
Senior Joe Dorn (Washington D.C.) led the Stags with wins at #1 doubles and #4 singles. Dorn and partner Warren Wood (Sr. Capt - Del Mar, CA) won their fourth straight at the top spot, needing a service break at 7-8 to get the Stags their lone point in doubles. Dorn's tenth singles victory of the season at #4 clinched the dual match for CMS.
Despite a rare loss at #1 singles for Wood, CMS won comfortably in four of the five remaining matches. Senior captain Nik Marino (San Diego, CA) quickly evened the score for CMS with a routine 6-1, 6-2 win at #3 singles. Marino earned his 23rd singles win of the season and 98th of his career. Junior Skyler Butts (Santa Ana, CA) put the Stags up 3-2 with his 6-3, 6-2 win at #2 before the Sagehens evened the dual with a win at #1. The advantage swung back to CMS with sophomore Max Macey's (Wilton, CT) straight set win at #6, leaving both Dorn and Daniel Morkovine (So. - San Carlos, CA) both in a position to clinch. Dorn had two match points returning at 2-5 in the third set, and then another three serving for the match at 5-3, before sealing victory on the fifth match point. Morkovine closed out the scoring for CMS by serving out the match at #5.
CMS improves to 20-1 overall and returns to SCIAC play on Saturday against Caltech at 10:00 AM at the Biszantz Family Tennis Center. The Stags then travel to Glendora to face #11 (D2) Azusa Pacific University at 3:00 PM.
#1 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (6) vs. #3 Pomona-Pitzer (3)
April 10, 2015 at Claremont, CA (Pauley Tennis Courts)
1. Joe Dorn / Warren Wood (CMS) def. Connor Hudson / Kalyan Chadalavada (Pomona-Pitzer) 9-7
2. Jonathan Kim / Graham Maassen (Pomona-Pitzer) def. Skyler Butts / Daniel Morkovine (CMS) 8-4
3. Antony Bello / Spencer Simonides (Pomona-Pitzer) def. Nik Marino / Bryan Mehall (CMS) 9-8(4)
1. Connor Hudson (Pomona-Pitzer) def. Warren Wood (CMS) 7-6(5), 6-4
2. Skyler Butts (CMS) def. Jake Yasgoor (Pomona-Pitzer) 6-3, 6-2
3. Nikolas Marino (CMS) def. Jonathan Kim (Pomona-Pitzer) 6-1, 6-2
4. Joe Dorn (CMS) def. Antony Bello (Pomona-Pitzer) 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
5. Daniel Morkovine (CMS) def. Graham Maassen (Pomona-Pitzer) 6-4, 7-5
6. Max Macey (CMS) def. Joshua Kim (Pomona-Pitzer) 6-3, 6-2
Order of completion
Doubles: 2, 1, 3
Singles: 3, 2, 1, 6, 4, 5