Top ranked CMS Stags Tennis moved to 2-0 in SCIAC and 15-1 overall in shutting out #39 Whittier on Saturday at the Biszantz Family Tennis Center. Playing two new doubles pairs, the Stags jumped out to a 3-0 lead and then swept the singles to complete the 9-0 victory over the Poets.
Seniors Warren Wood (Del Mar, CA) and Nik Marino (San Diego, CA) were reunited as CMS' top team for the first time since the fall, and the Southern California natives won easily to get the Stags their first point. Sophomore Glenn Hull (Brookings, OR) partnered junior Bryan Mehall (Snowmass Village, CO) at #3 doubles for a successful 8-3 debut. Skyler Butts (Jr. - Santa Ana, CA) and Daniel Morkovine (So. - San Carlos, CA) continued their winning ways at #2 with their eighth straight win, putting the Stags up 3-0 heading into singles.
For the third straight singles match, Wood was extended to three sets at #1, with the Stags' captain prevailing yet again. Wood is now 5-2 in three-setters, while CMS is 12-2 as a team. Sophomores Alex Brenner (San Francisco, CA) and Rohan Shankar (San Jose, CA) were two of the first three CMS singles players to complete their matches. Brenner was a 6-1, 6-1 winner at #5 singles, while Shankar won 6-3, 6-0 at #6.
The Stags finish the first of a tough two week homestand where they play seven matches, all against ranked opponents. Next up for CMS is #14 Williams on Wednesday, April 1 at 4:00 PM. Then on Friday, April 3 the Stags host #17 Redlands, followed by #16 Gustavus Adolphus and #8 (NAIA) Westmont on Saturday, April 4.
#1 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (9) vs. #39 Whittier (0)
March 28, 2015 at Claremont, CA (Biszantz Family Tennis Center)
1. Warren Wood / Nik Marino (CMS) def. Troy Chavez / Tyler Linscott (Whittier) 8-2
2. Skyler Butts / Daniel Morkovine (CMS) def. Sam Farmer / Ian Ross (Whittier) 8-5
3. Glenn Hull / Bryan Mehall (CMS) def. David Stanko / Shogo Shimizu (Whittier) 8-3
1. Warren Wood (CMS) def Sam Farmer (Whittier) 6-0, 3-6, 6-1
2. Skyler Butts (CMS) def. David Stanko (Whittier) 6-4, 6-2
3. Nik Marino (CMS) def. Shogo Shimizu (Whittier) 6-1, 6-2
4. Daniel Morkovine (CMS) def. Tyler Linscott (Whittier) 6-3, 6-4
5. Alex Brenner (CMS) def. Ian Ross (Whittier) 6-1, 6-1
6. Rohan Shankar (CMS) def. Joe Laguna (Whittier) 6-3, 6-0
Order of completion
Doubles: 3, 1, 2
Singles: 5, 3, 6, 4, 2, 1