Junior Max Macey (Wilton, CT) was one of five Stags to win two matches, as #1 CMS Stags Tennis shut out #21 Bates at the Biszantz Family Tennis Center on Friday afternoon. Macey has dropped only one game in his first two singles matches of the spring.
CMS jumped out to an early 1-0 lead after Stags' #1 pair Skyler Butts (Sr. Capt - Santa Ana, CA) and Daniel Morkovine (Jr. - San Carlos, CA) earned breaks in the fourth and tenth games to win 8-3. Number two doubles Glenn Hull (Jr. - Brookings, OR) and Lestter Yeh (Sr. - Arcadia, CA) also capitalized on a break in the fourth game, and then held on for an 8-6 win to put the Stags up 2-0. At #3 doubles, CMS' Macey and Oliver Seifert (Sr. - Los Altos, CA) needed an injury timeout and an hour and forty minutes to persevere for a 9-8(3) victory and a sweep of the doubles.
In the singles CMS was dominant at five of the six positions, with only Yeh at #6 extending to a tie-break in the third set. Macey earned the first singles point for the Stags at #4 singles, followed closely by freshman Julian Gordy (Tarzana, CA) at #5. Gordy served for the first set at 5-3 and was broken, but then broke again to win the set and then didn't drop another game. Morkovine similarly pulled out a close 6-4 first set at #3, and then cruised to a comfortable 6-1 second set win to put CMS up 6-0. Butts and Hull followed with lopsided straight set wins at #1 and #2 respectively, setting the stage for Yeh's thrilling finish at #6.
The Stags are back in action for a double header on Saturday, February 27, facing off against #26 (Division II) Point Loma Nazarene at 11:00 AM, and then against #37 Christopher Newport at 3:00 PM. Both matches are at the Biszantz Family Tennis Center.
#1 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (9) vs. #28 Bates (0)
February 26, 2016 at Claremont, CA (Biszantz Family Tennis Center)
1. Skyler Butts / Daniel Morkovine (CMS) def. Ben Rosen / Chris Ellis (Bates) 8-3
2. Glenn Hull / Lestter Yeh (CMS) def. Fergus Scott / Pat Ordway (Bates) 8-6
3. Max Macey / Oliver Seifert (CMS) def. Josh Leiner / Josh Quijano (Bates) 9-8(3)
1. Skyler Butts (CMS) def. Ben Rosen (Bates) 6-1, 6-1
2. Glenn Hull (CMS) def. Chris Ellis (Bates) 6-1, 6-2
3. Daniel Morkovine (CMS) def. Fergus Scott (Bates) 6-4, 6-1
4. Max Macey (CMS) def. Brent Feldman (Bates) 6-0, 6-1
5. Julian Gordy (CMS) def. Pat Ordway (Bates) 7-5, 6-0
6. Lestter Yeh (CMS) def. Josh Quijano (Bates) 6-2, 2-6, 7-6(3)
Order of completion
Doubles: 1, 2, 3
Singles: 4, 5, 3, 1, 2, 6