In a hard fought, four hour dual match that featured three singles matches going the full three sets, #2 CMS Stags Tennis outlasted a tough Carnegie Mellon team by a 6-3 score on Wednesday night at the Biszantz Family Tennis Center. Senior Lestter Yeh (Arcadia, CA) won at #2 doubles and #6 singles to lead CMS to the victory.
Yeh's tie-break win at #2 doubles with partner Glenn Hull (Jr. - Brookings, OR) put the Stags ahead for good after a tense start for all three doubles pairs. Skyler Butts (Sr. Capt - Santa Ana, CA) and Daniel Morkovine (Jr. - San Carlos, CA) erased a 6-1, two break deficit, winning the final seven games for CMS' first point. Hull and Yeh also trailed early before breaking back and then staying even to force a tie-break. Third pair Max Macey (Jr. - Wilton, CT) and Julian Gordy (Fr. - Tarzana, CA) led by an early break but failed to capitalize, giving CMU their only doubles win.
In the singles, the Stags won opening sets at all but the number two position and seemed to be in control of the dual match. However, the Tartans fought back to win second sets at #1, #3, and #5, shifting the momentum in Carnegie Mellon's favor. Yeh put CMS up 3-1 wth his straight set win at #6 singles, but the Tartans answered with a two set win at #2. Macey got CMS one match away from the clinch with his 6-4, 6-2 win over Kenny Zheng at #4, meaning that only one of three Stags would need to win a third set to seal the victory. Morkovine earned the clinch for CMS after racing out to a 3-0 lead in the third, and holding on for a 6-3 decisive set win. Gordy completed the scoring for CMS by serving out the match for his 6-4 third set win at #5.
CMS improves to 7-0 on the season and will co-host the Stag-Hen Invitational this Friday and Saturday. The Stags open tournament play against #26 UT-Tyler at 10:00 AM on Friday, and will face either #5 Trinity University or #17 Kenyon in the afternoon match, not before 2:30 PM.
#2 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (6) vs. #7 Carnegie Mellon (3)
March 9, 2016 at Claremont, CA (Biszantz Family Tennis Center)
1. Skyler Butts / Daniel Morkovine (CMS) def. Vayum Arora / Daniel Levine (CMU) 8-6
2. Glenn Hull / Lestter Yeh (CMS) def. Jeff Chen / Kenny Zheng (CMU) 9-8(3)
3. Abishek Alla / Yuvraj Kumar (CMU) def. Max Macey / Julian Gordy (CMS) 8-4
1. Abishek Alla (CMU) def. Skyler Butts (CMS) 4-6, 6-2, 6-3
2. Daniel Levine (CMU) def. Glenn Hull (CMS) 6-4, 6-3
3. Daniel Morkovine (CMS) def. Vayum Arora (CMU) 6-4, 3-6, 6-3
4. Max Macey (CMS) def. Kenny Zheng (CMU) 6-4, 6-2
5. Julian Gordy (CMS) def. Kunal Wadwani (CMU) 6-2, 3-6, 6-4
6. Lestter Yeh (CMS) def. Chaz Downing (CMU) 6-3, 6-1
Order of completion
Doubles: 1, 3, 2
Singles: 6, 2, 4, 3, 1, 5