Top-seeded CMS Stags Tennis won the opening round of the SCIAC tournament on Friday, defeating Occidental 9-0 under threatening skies at the Biszantz Family Tennis Center. CMS yielded only five total games in nine matches, using ten roster players in the victory.
Due to the threat of rain, the match time was moved 75 minutes earlier and dual match play began with singles rather than doubles. CMS was dominant, winning the first 53 games, and sweeping the singles in just over an hour. Seniors Oliver Seifert (Los Altos, CA) and Bryan Mehall (Snowmass Village, CO) earned the Stags' first and clinching points respectively. The two seniors' combined singles records are now 16-1 overall and 11-0 in conference on the season. Seifert and Mehall were the only two match winners for CMS on Friday, as Seifert partnered Julian Gordy (Fr. - Tarzana, CA) at #2 doubles, and Mehall partnered Glenn Hull (Jr. - Brookings, OR) at #3 doubles to 8-1 wins.
CMS improves to 23-4 overall and advances to the semifinals of the SCIAC tournament against the winner of the Whittier and Caltech match, which was suspended due to rain with Caltech leading 2-1 after doubles. Whittier and Caltech resume at 9:00 AM on Saturday at Biszantz, with the winner facing CMS not before 2:00 PM.
#3 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (9) vs. Occidental (0)
May 6, 2016 at Claremont, CA (Biszantz Family Tennis Center) - SCIAC Tournament Quarterfinal
1. Skyler Butts / Daniel Morkovine (CMS) def. Isa Kibira / Cameron Coe (Oxy) 8-1
2. Julian Gordy / Oliver Seifert (CMS) def. Trevor Brown / Erik Silverness (Oxy) 8-1
3. Bryan Mehall / Glenn Hull (CMS) def. Anoop D'Souza / Kyle Oye (Oxy) 8-1
1. Lestter Yeh (CMS) def. Trevor Brown (Oxy) 6-0, 6-0
2. Avi Vemuri (CMS) def. Isa Kibira (Oxy) 6-0, 6-1
3. Bryan Mehall (CMS) def. Cameron Coe (Oxy) 6-0, 6-0
4. Alex Brenner (CMS) def. Erik Silverness (Oxy) 6-0, 6-0
5. Oliver Seifert (CMS) def. Anoop D'Souza (Oxy) 6-0, 6-1
6. Rohan Shankar (CMS) def. Carlos Flores (Oxy) 6-0, 6-0
Order of completion
Doubles: 3, 1, 2
Singles: 5, 4, 6, 1, 3, 2