#2 CMS Stags Tennis closed out regular season play on Saturday with a 7-2 victory over #17 (Division II) UC San Diego at the La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club. CMS was led by seniors Bryan Mehall (Snowmass Village, CO) and Skyler Butts (Santa Ana, CA), two of four Stags to earn singles and doubles wins on the day.
The Stags capitalized on some of their best doubles play in April with a convincing doubles sweep of the Trtions. Butts and partner Daniel Morkovine (Jr. - San Carlos, CA) notched their twenty-second win of the spring at the #1 position, building up an early two-break lead and holding on for an 8-4 victory to put CMS up 1-0. Mehall and Glenn Hull (Jr. - Brookings, OR) paired up for the first time this season at #3 doubles, racing out to a 5-0 lead before cruising to an 8-4 win for the Stags' second point. Second pair Julian Gordy (Fr. - Tarzana, CA) and Oliver Seifert (Sr. - Los Altos, CA) came back from a break down at 5-4 to win the final four games of the match and complete the sweep for CMS.
In singles, CMS had straight set wins at four of the six positions, with Mehall first to finish at #6 for the Stags. His 6-4, 6-3 win was his ninth dual match win without a loss and improved his record to 14-2 on the season. Gordy came back from a break down in the first set to get the clinching win for the Stags at #4 singles. The freshman is now 7-0 in dual matches and 12-2 overall. Hull's 6-2, 6-2 win at #2 to put CMS up 6-0 left no doubt that the junior is beginning to peak as the post season approaches. Captain Butts earned the Stags' final point of the day for his 29th win of the season at the top spot.
CMS begins its SCIAC tournament defense beginning next Friday when they host Occidental. Match time for the first round of SCIAC tournament play is 3:00 PM at the Biszantz Family Tennis Center. Play continues at Biszantz all weekend, with second round matches on Saturday, and final round matches on Sunday. CMS enters the conference tournament as the top seed with a 7-0 regular season record. With the win over UCSD, the Stags are now 22-4 overall.
#2 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (7) vs. #17 UC San Diego (2)
April 30, 2016 at La Jolla, CA (La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club)
1. Skyler Butts / Daniel Morkovine (CMS) def. Alexandre Miaule / Horea Porutiu (UCSD) 8-4
2. Julian Gordy / Oliver Seifert (CMS) def. Eric Tseng / Rodrigo Amaral (UCSD) 8-5
3. Glenn Hull / Bryan Mehall (CMS) def. Edvin Larsson / Justin Zhang (UCSD) 8-4
1. Skyler Butts (CMS) def. Eric Tseng (UCSD) 7-6(4), 7-5
2. Glenn Hull (CMS) def. Alexandre Miaule (UCSD) 6-2, 6-2
3. Justin Zhang (UCSD) def. Daniel Morkovine (CMS) 5-7, 6-0, (15-13)
4. Julian Gordy (CMS) def. Rodrigo Amaral (UCSD) 6-4, 6-2
5. Horea Porutiu (UCSD) def. Avi Vemuri (CMS) 6-3, 6-4
6. Bryan Mehall (CMS) def. Riku Hashiyada (UCSD) 6-4, 6-3
Order of completion
Doubles: 1, 3, 2
Singles: 6, 4, 2, 5, 3, 1