AUSTIN, Tex. – The No. 2 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps men's tennis team completed yet another come-from-behind victory by beating No. 15 Trinity University 6-3 in San Antonio, to open up a three-day, three dual match Texas road trip on Friday. CMS was swept in doubles but came back to win every singles match and pull away from the Tigers.
Freshman Nikolai Parodi (CMC) got the comeback started at No. 1 singles with a straight set win, his seventh consecutive win at the top spot. Senior Max Macey (CMC) earned the Stags' second point with his tenth straight win at the No. 6 position. CMS took the lead when senior captain Glenn Hull (CMC) and freshman Daniel Park (CMC) also added two set wins at No, 2 and No. 5 within one point of each other. Park had saved a set point serving at 5-6, after having served for the match two games earlier. His second set tie-break win ran the Stags season tiebreak record to 18-12. With CMS up 4-3, the dual match would be determined at the No. 3 and No. 4 positions, with senior captain Daniel Morkovine (CMC) and junior Patrick Wildman (CMC) both early in decisive third sets. Morkovine wasted no time in clinching, as he ran off the last ten games of the match for a 4-6, 6-3, 6-0 victory. Wildman then completed the Stags singles sweep with his ninth straight win of the spring.
On Saturday, CMS will take on No. 4 Middlebury (10-1) at 9:00 a.m. CDT at the Austin Tennis Academy. The Stags conclude their road trip with a match against No. 1 Emory (8-3) on Sunday at 10:00 a.m. CDT, also at the Austin Tennis Academy.
#2 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (6) vs. #16 Trinity University (3)
March 31, 2017 at San Antonio, TX (Butch Newman Tennis Center)
1. Matt Tyer / Wilson Lambeth (TU) def. Daniel Morkovine / Julian Gordy (CMS) 8-6
2. Clayton Niess / Chas Mayer (TU) def. Glenn Hull / Daniel Park (CMS) 8-3
3. Jordan Pitts / Liam Crawley (TU) def. Nikolai Parodi / Jay Yeam (CMS) 8-5
1. Nikolai Parodi (CMS) def. Chas Mayer (TU) 6-2, 7-5
2. Glenn Hull (CMS) def. Wilson Lambeth (TU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Daniel Morkovine (CMS) def. Jordan Pitts (TU) 4-6, 6-3, 6-0
4. Patrick Wildman (CMS) def. Liam Crawley (TU) 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
5. Daniel Park (CMS) def. McKenna Fujitani (TU) 6-1, 7-6(5)
6. Max Macey (CMS) def. Clayton Niess (TU) 6-1, 6-3
Order of completion
Doubles: 2, 3, 1
Singles: 1, 6, 2, 5, 3, 4
CMS Email Updates
CMS Athletics on Facebook: AthleticsCMS
CMS Athletics on Twitter: @AthleticsCMS
CMS Tennis on Twitter: @CMSTennis
CMS Athletics on Instagram: cmsathletics
CMS Athletics YouTube: ClaremontMuddScripps