NEW BRAUNFELS, Tex. – The No. 2 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps men's tennis team suffered its second loss in as many days, falling to No. 1 Emory 7-2 in the final of three weekend matches in Texas. Due to severe thunderstorms, the match was moved from Austin to indoors in New Braunfels, and CMS provided little resistance against the reigning National Indoor champs.
With senior captain Glenn Hull (CMC) on the sidelines for the second consecutive match, the Stags turned to freshman Jake Berber (CMC) and senior Alex Brenner (CMC). The duo earned CMS' first point of the match with a high energy win at No. 3 doubles. Berber and Brenner needed only one service break in the twelfth game for their second win of the road trip. With a 1-0 lead, CMS was unable to win at either of the top two doubles positions, despite an early 3-0 advantage at No. 1.
Playing on only three courts, CMS hoped to chip away at Emory's lead once the dual match transitioned from doubles to singles. With their only two singles winners from the previous day on court first, the Stags hoped that junior Patrick Wildman (CMC) and Brenner at No. 3 and No. 6 respectively, could pull them even. Instead, Emory extended its lead to 4-1, as Wildman lost his first match, and Brenner his second of 2017. Emory then clinched with another straight set victory at the No. 1 position, and added two more points with wins at No. 2 and No. 4. Senior Max Macey (CMC) earned the Stags' only singles win with a decisive 6-1, 6-2 outing at No. 5 to make it a 7-2 final.
CMS (16-2, 1-0) returns home to resume conference play this weekend, with a match at 3 p.m. on Friday, April 7 against No. 10 Redlands (12-4, 4-0). The Stags travel to No. 35 Whittier (9-7, 2-1) on Saturday for a 10 a.m. match before completing weekend play at home against Division II Point Loma (4-13) at 3 p.m. that day.
#2 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (2) vs. #1 Emory (7)
April 2, 2017 at New Braunfels, TX (John Newcombe Tennis Ranch)
1. Scott Rubinstein / James Spaulding (Emory) def. Daniel Morkovine / Julian Gordy (CMS) 8-5
2. Max Renke / Adrian Bouchet (Emory) def. Nikolai Parodi / Jay Yeam (CMS) 8-5
3. Jake Berber / Alex Brenner (CMS) def. Arman Manji / Jonathan Jemison (Emory) 8-5
1. Arman Manji (Emory) def. Nikolai Parodi (CMS) 6-3, 6-3
2. Jonathan Jemison (Emory) def. Daniel Morkovine (CMS) 6-2, 6-1
3. Adrian Bouchet (Emory) def. Patrick Wildman (CMS) 6-1, 6-3
4. James Spaulding (Emory) def. Daniel Park (CMS) 6-4, 6-4
5. Max Macey (CMS) def. Alec Josepher (Emory) 6-1, 6-2
6. Josh Goodman (Emory) def. Alex Brenner (CMS) 6-3, 6-3
Order of completion
Doubles: 3, 2, 1
Singles: 3, 6, 1, 2, 4, 5
CMS Email Updates
CMS Athletics on Facebook: AthleticsCMS
CMS Athletics on Twitter: @AthleticsCMS
CMS Tennis on Twitter: @CMSTennis
CMS Athletics on Instagram: cmsathletics
CMS Athletics YouTube: ClaremontMuddScripps