CLAREMONT, Calif. – The No. 2 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps men's tennis team earned its eleventh win against a nationally ranked opponent, defeating No. 10 Redlands at the Biszantz Family Tennis Center on Friday to move to 17-2 overall and 2-0 in SCIAC. Senior captain Glenn Hull (CMC) led the Stags with wins at No. 2 doubles and No. 2 singles.
CMS won two of three doubles for the first time against a ranked national opponent since March 12 (Carnegie Mellon), by picking up wins at the top two positions. Sophomore Julian Gordy (CMC) and senior Daniel Morkovine (CMC) capitalized on a break of serve in the seventh game, and then a hold from love-40 down in the eighth game, to win the final six games for their 8-3 win at No. 1. Hull and freshman Jake Berber (CMC) needed two breaks of serve to earn an 8-5 win at No. 2. Berber has now won three straight doubles matches with two different partners.
Redlands leveled the match at 2-all with a win at No. 1 singles before CMS pulled away to take the five remaining matches on court. Hull added to his team leading singles record with his twelfth straight win of the spring at No. 2. Morkovine put the Stags up 4-2 with a 7-6(4), 6-1 win at No. 3, before freshman Daniel Park (CMC), erased a 5-2 second set deficit and a set point against him to clinch yet another big win for CMS at No. 5. Junior Patrick Wildman (CMC) and senior Max Macey (CMC) completed the 7-2 win for CMS with wins at No. 4 and No. 6 respectively. Wildman's three-set win runs the Stags record in three-setters to 15-5. The three tie-break wins on the day run the Stags tie-break record to 22-14 on the season.
CMS picks up SCIAC play again on Saturday, traveling to No. 35 Whittier (9-7, 2-1) for a 10 a.m. match before heading home to face Division II Point Loma (4-14) at 3 p.m.
#2 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (7) vs. #10 Redlands (2)
April 7, 2017 at Claremont, CA (Biszantz Family Tennis Center)
1. Daniel Morkovine / Julian Gordy (CMS) def. Joey Dulle / Jake Ly (UR) 8-3
2. Jake Berber / Glenn Hull (CMS) def. Chase Lipscomb / Brad Cummins (UR) 8-5
3. Parker Wilson / Tom Suchodolski (UR) def. Nikolai Parodi / Daniel Park (CMS) 8-4
1. Chase Lipscomb (UR) def. Nikolai Parodi (CMS) 6-4, 6-2
2. Glenn Hull (CMS) def. Parker Wilson (UR) 6-2, 6-1
3. Daniel Morkovine (CMS) def. Joey Dulle (UR) 7-6(4), 6-1
4. Patrick Wildman (CMS) def. Jake Ly (UR) 6-3, 4-6, 6-3
5. Daniel Park (CMS) def. Tom Suchodolski (UR) 6-4, 7-6(5)
6. Max Macey (CMS) def. Bryant Johnson (UR) 4-6, 6-3, (10-1)
Order of completion
Doubles: 1, 2, 3
Singles: 1, 2, 3, 5, 4, 6
CMS Email Updates
CMS Athletics on Facebook: AthleticsCMS
CMS Athletics on Twitter: @AthleticsCMS
CMS Tennis on Twitter: @CMSTennis
CMS Athletics on Instagram: cmsathletics
CMS Athletics YouTube: ClaremontMuddScripps