CLAREMONT, Calif. - The No. 1 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps men's tennis team honored seniors Julian Gordy (CMC), Avinash Vemuri (CMC), and Alfred Simental (CMC / HMC) on Friday, and then went on to sweep fourth seeded Caltech 5-0 in the SCIAC Tournament semifinals. The Stags will face No. 18 Pomona-Pitzer - who defeated Redlands 5-2 in the other semifinal - in the championship match on Saturday at 1 PM at the Biszantz Family Tennis Center.
Friday's conference tournament semifinal was played two weeks to the day after the regular season dual match, which was won by CMS 9-0, also at the Biszantz Family Tennis Center. Junior Daniel Park (CMC) returned to the lineup after a three week absence, and won at No. 3 doubles with Robert Liu (CMC), before clinching the dual with his straight set win at No. 5 singles. Park played all of the 2018 post-season with Liu at No. 3 doubles, but this was their first pairing of 2019. Park had been one of the Stags' most prolific singles players prior to coming out of the singles lineup on March 30. His return strengthens the back half of a Stags singles lineup laden with depth.
Liu's two wins on Friday improves his records to 17-6 in singles and 21-5 in doubles. He has now played with four different partners and been a part of thirteen of the Stags' sixteen doubles sweeps this season. CMS' doubles play continues to be as strong as it has been all season. Heading into tomorrow's title match with the Pomona-Pitzer, CMS is 24-0 in doubles matches in eight SCIAC contests this spring.
#1 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (5) vs. #22 Caltech (0)
May 3, 2019 at Claremont, CA (Biszantz Family Tennis Center) - SCIAC Tournament Semifinals
1. Julian Gordy / Nikolai Parodi (CMS) def. Varun Shanker / James Wei (Caltech) 8-3
2. Jack Katzman / Oscar Burney (CMS) def. Patryk Kozlowski / Derik Nguyen (Caltech) 8-1
3. Robert Liu / Daniel Park (CMS) def. Conor Soohoo / Jake Will (Caltech) 8-2
1. Nikolai Parodi (CMS) vs. Varun Shanker (Caltech) 4-6, 6-3, 0-1 DNF
2. Jack Katzman (CMS) vs. James Wei (Caltech) 6-1, 3-2 DNF
3. Julian Gordy (CMS) vs. Kevin Yu (Caltech) 6-3, 2-1 DNF
4. Robert Liu (CMS) def. Miha Valencic (Caltech) 6-3, 6-1
5. Daniel Park (CMS) def. Derik Nguyen (Caltech) 6-3, 6-1
6. Nic Meister (CMS) vs. Patryk Kozlowski (Caltech) 6-2, 5-2 DNF
Order of completion
Doubles: 2, 3, 1
Singles: 4, 5